Monday, March 29, 2010

Review: The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

The Iron King
Written by Julie Kagawa
Available Now!
Published by Harlequin Teen                                     

The Iron King (Iron Fey, #1)
               

  [5stars.jpg]

If you follow my blog regularly you probably know that I am a big fan of all that is faery!  That is why I couldn't wait to read The Iron King by Julie Kagawa!  This is her debut novel and the first book in a planned series.

Summary from Goodreads:
"Meghan Chase has never fit in at her small-town high school, and now, on the eve of her 16th birthday, she discovers why. When her half brother is kidnapped, Meghan is drawn into a fantastical world she never imagined--the world of Faery, where anything you see may try to eat you, and Meghan is the daughter of the summer faery king. Now she will journey into the depths of Faery to face an unknown enemy . . . and beg the help of a winter prince who might as soon kill her as let her touch his icy heart. The Iron King is the first book in the Iron Fey series."

My Thoughts:
This was a truly amazing book! I am awed by Julie Kagawa's talent! Her writing flowed beautifully and the pace of the book was perfect!  This story sank it's hooks into me right away and  refused to release me until the last page!  It is rare to read a book and enjoy every character in it.  Each character really brought something interesting to the story.  I loved Grimalkin!  This cheeky feline fey is clever, humorous, and mysterious.  He popped up during Meghan's journey through NeverNever at just the right times and always seemed to know exactly what needed to be done or exactly where they needed to go.  I hope that as this series progresses we learn more about this mysterious cat!  I also really enjoyed Puck.  I loved his banter with the rest of the characters and his devotion to Meghan was heartwarming.  Meghan is the kind of strong female character that I like seeing in YA books.  At the beginning of the story she was an 'outsider'.  She was invisible at school and even in her home at times.  After learning her true heritage, she began to grow into a strong, confident, and brave young woman.  She preservered against outrageous odds for the ones that she loved and showed amazing loyalty.  Lastly, there is Ash.  ICY HOT!!!  I fall for the bad boys everytime and Ash is definitely worthy!!  He is sexy and brooding, yet you are given small glimpses of vunerablilty as his icy heart begins to warm.  The ending left me screaming for the next book, The Iron Daughter, which is due to release on August 10th!!  I really can't express how much I loved this book!  If you haven't read it, then I highly suggest that you go get it now!  You won't regret it!

6 comments:

  1. I am finishing up the last 50 pages of this book tonight :D Great review! I agree :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I'm really looking forward to reading this one!
    Trillian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I've heard so many good things about this one! Hope to read it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome review, I really enjoyed this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard amazing things about this book. I went to my local bookstore and they didn't have any! I will have to order it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely adore the Iron King, glad you did to. I'm actually reading The Iron Daughter, and let me just say that if you thought The Iron King was amazing, waiting til you read the sequel. You'll be blown away with happiness.

    ReplyDelete