Saturday, February 6, 2010

Fragile Eternity by Melissa Marr

Fragile Eternity (Wicked Lovely, #3)[5stars.jpg]

One of my all-time favorite book series is the Wicked Lovely  series by Melissa Marr.  Fragile Eternity is the third installment in this phenomenal series!  If you are a fan of the first two books, Fragile Eternity is not going to disappoint you!  
**SPOILER ALERT** If you haven't read Wicked Lovely and Ink Exchange this review may contain spoilers!  Go NOW and get both of them and start READING! 
Summary from HarperCollins:

"Seth never expected he would want to settle down with anyone—but that was before Aislinn. She is everything he'd ever dreamed of, and he wants to be with her forever. Forever takes on new meaning, though, when your girlfriend is an immortal faery queen.
Aislinn never expected to rule the very creatures who'd always terrified her—but that was before Keenan. He stole her mortality to make her a monarch, and now she faces challenges and enticements beyond any she'd ever imagined.
In Melissa Marr's third mesmerizing tale of Faerie, Seth and Aislinn struggle to stay true to themselves and each other in a milieu of shadowy rules and shifting allegiances, where old friends become new enemies and one wrong move could plunge the Earth into chaos."


My Thoughts:
Melissa Marr out did herself with this one!  I L-O-V-E-D it!  I found this book extremely hard to put down, even when dinner was burning on the stove, the dog was whining to go out, and the phone was ringing!!  Seriously...I wasn't that bad but I wasn't far from it! Fragile Eternity picks up the story between Seth and Aislinn (aka Ash).  I love the lovestory between them and I couldn't wait to find out where their relationship would go after Wicked Lovely (Ink Exchange is a companion book to Wicked Lovely and Fragile Eternity is the actual sequel to Wicked Lovely).  Seth is my favorite character and I was excited to see that this is basically 'his' book. 

I think that the underlying theme in Fragile Eternity is balance.  Balance between the courts (Summer, Winter, and Dark) and balance between love and court responsibilities within the relationships found in the book (Seth and Ash, Keenan and Donia, as well as Keenan and Ash).  The need for balance between all the courts is crucial to not only the Faerie, but the mortal world as well.  If one court is stronger than the others, the mortal world feels the effect.  When Beira was Winter Queen, she was more powerful than Keenan (Summer King) because he had yet to find his queen.  This imbalance plunged the mortal world into eternal Winter since the strongest court was the Winter court.  Unfortunately, the courts are becoming unbalanced again.  Seth (Ash's boyfriend and a mortal) seems to be the central figure in this unbalance.  He is Ash's lover, Keenan(Summer King) just wants him gone, Niall(King of the Dark Court) protects him and thinks of him as a brother, and Donia(the new Winter Queen) identifies with him and feels bad for his situation.  She is also the one that granted him "The Sight", which enabled him to see faeries.  Last (but certainly not least!) there is Sorcha, the Queen of the High Court, who plays a major part in the story and in Seth's life.  Unfortunately, I can't really say much about Sorcha's connection with Seth because it would be a MAJOR spoiler!  So I will just say that what transpires is unexpected and exciting!  

One of the biggest strengths in all of Melissa Marr's books, especially Fragile Eternity, are her characters.  She crafts each character so that the reader feels something for each of them.  You love them and root for them (Seth) or you just don't like them (Keenan), but you feel something for all of them.  The pace of this book was quick and the plot was full of exciting twists and unexpected turns!  This book made me love Seth even more than I already did.  You can just feel how consumed he is in his love for Aislinn.  The fear he feels over losing her to Keenan and her position as Summer Queen (not to mention her immortality versus his mortality) is the motivation behind some big decisions he makes that will effect everyone! I am dying to find out if Seth made the right choices or if Keenan and the Court will pull her away from him after all.   

I highly recommend all of Melissa Marr's books, especially Fragile Eternity!  These are fun books that will keep you up at night reading (Don't you just love those kind of books!) and leave you begging for a sequel!  The next book, Radiant Shadows,  is coming out soon.  If you follow my blog you know how much I am anticipating getting my hands on it!  Well keep a look out for my review coming soon.  I am a lucky participant in Melissa's arc tour and I should be receiving the book within the next week or so!!!  YEAH!! Woot! Woot!!  Thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

  1. Great review! this was a fun book and I agree that Marr's characterization is one of her strengths.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello darling! I'm here for the Saturday Network!
    I hope you're still in love with you layout ^^

    I have FE sitting on my shelf, but I was disapointed after the second book, mainly because the main characters changed so I haven't read book 3 yet. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked Wicked Lovely but I haven't read the other two yet. I may have to do that for one of my challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i didn't enjoy this one that much..but i still loved it*if that makes any sense* lol :D
    Great review! Can't wait 2 read the next one!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review...I need to finish this series. I love the world Melissa Marr created.

    ReplyDelete