Friday, August 13, 2010

Review: I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore

http://scifimafia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/I_Am_Number_Four_Book_Cover-677x1024.jpg
[5stars.jpg]
I Am Number Four 
(Lorien Legacies, #1)
Written by Pittacus Lore
Available Now (August 3, 2010)
Published by HarperCollins

I was really excited about reading this book.  I have been hearing lots of hype about the book and the movie adaptation that Dreamworks is currently filming (starring Beastly hottie- Alex Pettyfer) and I couldn't wait to see for myself!  The book definitely lived up to its hype!

Summary from Goodreads:
"Nine of us came here. We look like you. We talk like you. We live among you. But we are not you. We can do things you dream of doing. We have powers you dream of having. We are stronger and faster than anything you have ever seen. We are the superheroes you worship in movies and comic books—but we are real.

Our plan was to grow, and train, and become strong, and become one, and fight them. But they found us and started hunting us first. Now all of us are running. Spending our lives in shadows, in places where no one would look, blending in. we have lived among you without you knowing.

But they know.

They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They killed them all.

I am Number Four.

I am next."

 
Book Trailer:


My Thoughts:
In short, this book was original, fast-paced, and action-packed!  I enjoyed it from the first page until the last.  Pittacus Lore is the pseudonym for the writing duo of James Frey and Jobie Hughes.  Pittacus Lore is also a character in the Lorien Legacies.  He is from the Planet Lorien (like Number Four) and is one of the planet's 10 mysterious Elders.  He is also the 'author' of this book.  He is using the book as a way of telling the readers the story of Lorien and the Nine in hopes that Earth will not suffer the same devastating fate as Lorien did.  I think that is a really neat concept and it definitely adds to the mysterious air that this series seems to hold!

I Am Number Four tells the story of Number Four, aka John Smith.  He is one of the 9 children that escaped amid a devastating war on their planet, Lorien.  These 9 children were sent to Earth in the hopes that they would grow up and come into their powers, or legacies, before their enemies, the Mogadorians, could find and kill them.  That means a life on the run for John and his guardian, Henri.  New names, new identities, and a new location are required every few months to keep them safe and undetected.  Unfortunately for John, he is unable to form any real relationships because #1- they move so frequently and #2- the closer he gets to humans the more questions they have and the likelihood his 'differences' will be noticed.  When Number 3 is killed, John knows he is next, so he and Henri hit the road for their next stop: Paradise, Ohio.

Paradise is better than John coud have imagined.  He has met his first real friend, Sam, and actually has his first girlfriend, Sara, but things don't stay calm for long.  John is desperate to hold his ground this time.  No more running.  He loves his new life, especially the people in it, and wants to fight for it.  Hiding who and what he is becomes increasingly difficult, especially when the enemies begin to close in.  You can imagine the action and adventure that ensues!  John is such an awesome and believable character!  He is a normal teenager in so many ways, yet he has this amazing power within him.  I really enjoyed watching his relationships with Sara and Sam progress and grow.  Poor John... he struggled with all of the normal teenage angst where girls are concerned, but he also had a HUGE secret to conceal! The other characters were just as well developed and interesting.  I really admired Henri's character.  He was so loyal to John and gave up so much to ensure his safety.  Sam was just adorable!  He was a stereotypical high school nerd/geek, but as he gets to know and befriend John, he undergoes such a beautiful transformation.  But my favorite character was one of very few words... Bernie Kozar (John's dog!).  There isn't much that I can say about that little guy without giving any spoilers, other than he was loyal, protective and all-around AWESOME!! 

I really enjoyed this read.  I read it cover to cover within the span of two days and was left wanting more!  The authors did a great job and wrote in a way that made this story believable.  I appreciated the attention to detail used during John's flashbacks to Lorien.  These flashbacks gave me a clear mental picture of John and Henri's world.  The Lorien shown to the reader makes you want to see it restored to its former glory.  The visions of the war allow you to see the Mogadorians for what they truly are and the danger they pose to the Nine and mainly to Earth!  The ending was well done.  The events that transpired were a little sad, but they also offered hope in the fight against the Mogadorians.  I think a wide range of people will enjoy this book and it is definitely one to recommend to reluctant readers.  I believe it will also really appeal to teen boys.  There are some graphic/violent battle scenes, but nothing nightmare inducing!  The relationship between John and Sara is sweet and innocent as well!  After reading the book I can't wait for the movie to come out in February!  The next book in the series will release in the spring of 2011 and will be titled The Power Of Six.

4 comments:

  1. Wow so freaky - I picked up a free '1st chapter preview' of this book today and this is the first link I saw on twitter. I think I'll have to read this when it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review! I've been seeing this book mentioned a lot, and ordered for our library, but I haven't had a chance to get my hands on it yet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read this one a lot :) Thanks for the review!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This looks like an awesome book! Part Terminator/ Part Percy Jackson. Love it!

    Pragmatic Mom
    http://PragmaticMom.com

    ReplyDelete